Startups –– This is an exercise you can use as a starting point for designing your recruitment content + marketing strategy:
- List the places your candidates hang out online.
- Brainstorm channel-specific content for those places.
- Run low-risk experiments to distribute the content via organic + paid models.
- Do more of what works. Leave the rest.
Content = Primarily written and video. Long-form content can be chopped up into easily digestible bites for social.
Outside of the obvious social, email, and InMail channels, these are some ideas for generating awareness:
- Posting and interacting in niche online forums.
- Hosting virtual micro-events with senior leaders and other industry experts.
- Advertising on niche newsletters. (We did this. It works!)
- Podcast advertising.
- Influencers. (Yep, business influencers to promote your company as an amazing place to work.)
Lower volume of applicants + shorter screening calls + increase in conversations with the right people are all indicators that you’re doing things right.
And when it comes down to it, the only KPI that matters is new hires.
I know, this is a lot. This isn’t meant to be an overnight process.
Step 1: Brainstorm ideas + design the framework.
Here are examples of various types of content that can be used across a variety of channels: